Household Toxins

Pets may encounter toxic chemicals around your home without you being aware of it. Do you have any of the items listed below in your home? If so, take extra precautions to place these items in a secure location to avoid accidental toxicities.
 
Medications:
 
Medications for people and pets can be potentially toxic to your pet. Do not assume that medications that are safe to give to people are safe for your pet. Common drugs that pets ingest that cause toxicity include: anti-inflammatories (e.g.: aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen), inhalers and mood-changing drugs (e.g.: antidepressants).
 
Lawn chemicals:
  • Insecticides
  • pesticides
  • herbicides
  • fertilizers

Outdoor chemicals:

  • Ice melt
  • batteries
  • ethylene glycol antifreeze.

Toxic plants:

Lilies, in particular, are highly toxic. To be safe, do not allow your pet to chew on any plants or flowers.
 
Cleaning chemicals:
  • bleach
  • bathroom cleaners
  • detergents and fabric softeners.

Foods:

Chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions and garlic are toxic to pets. Caution with chewing gum that contains the sweetener, xylitol, as this chemical is toxic to your pet.
 
Signs that your pet may have ingested a toxic substance include:
  • Drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance
  • Behavior changes: hyperactivity or lethargy
  • Fast or slow heart rate
  • Increased thirst
  • Stumbling, tremors, seizures, loss of consciousness, unable to waken
  • Changes in breathing character or rate
 
Time is of the essence with toxicities. If you suspect your pet has ingested something harmful, do not hesitate to call your veterinary clinic immediately for recommendations. Do not induce vomiting in your pet without speaking to your veterinarian first as this may pose a health risk to your pet.
 
Prevention is the best medicine. Avoid toxicities by keeping all potentially toxic substances away from your pets to keep pets out of harm’s way.